Saturday, November 14, 2009

Come hell or any water

The dog does not like water except to drink. He made that very clear early on when I had to drag him out for business in the rain. Hathaway's fur is very short, a lot like a horse's coat, actually. When he gets wet, he is instantly wet to the skin. He hates it.

But his dislike of water goes beyond that. He doesn't like to get his paws wet. It's pretty funny to watch him try to get through a puddle without getting his paws wet. Maybe if I lift this paw, I won't feel it. It's still there. Maybe if I lift this paw, I won't feel it ... nope ... maybe if I lift this paw ...

And yes, he can balance on two legs but hasn't figured out how to move forward. Usually he tries to go around puddles or stay under the umbrella.

Today, a nor'easter is blowing through, but it wasn't too bad early this morning when we headed to the dog park and he actually hopped out of the car for a walk. It was drizzling, but we walked the loop, then played with the other hearty souls who were out. Even played a little fetch and I managed not to throw the ball into a puddle. (When that happens, I'm the fetcher all of a sudden &@!*#$.)

But then it started to rain harder. Hathaway looked at me, then trotted off at a brisk pace. I thought he was getting the ball until he went right past it. It took another 20 yards before I realized he was headed for the car. He didn't look back once and he didn't stop until he got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment